If you missed our “Freedom Isn’t Free” workshop yesterday, we missed you! It was a great recovery experience. Our leader had so many great things to say, and in our next couple of posts, we will highlight a few resources and initiatives he mentioned in passing so that we can all learn more about them.
Today, we’ll focus on the newcomer video he mentioned and how you can use it yourself whether you’re new to the program or not. The Westchester United Intergroup (WUIG) has created a video just for newcomers that we’ve made available on our Newcomers page. The point of the video is to quickly help newcomers understand exactly what the program. In fact, it’s good for OA veterans too! In about nine minutes it covers:
- the cycle of addiction
- some key terms of recovery
- how to get honest about our food
- how the Tools and Steps work
- what to do to get started.
Click the image to watch it.
What a great way to learn about OA FAST!
- Watch the video so that you’ll understand the basics of OA.
- Talk about it with other members, especially your sponsor.
- Reflect on it as you read our Newcomer’s Packet.
If you have an opportunity to 12th Step someone, this is a great way to do it. Share your membership with them, tell them your story, and if they’d like to know more, this video is a great resource for them.
Sponsors and Temporary Sponsors
Here’s three ways to use this video with someone you’re working with:
- Have a newcomer or sponsee watch it by themselves to learn about the program.
- Watch it with them and talk about it as you watch (ideal for use with a tablet device or laptop)
- Watch it yourself and use it as talking points for working with others or sharing at a meeting.