“What does an Intergroup rep actually do?” We hear that question a lot, so we have created a new, downloadable description of the role. It’s now avaialble in our meeting resources area. But right now, let’s answer the question.
First, though, why should you want to be an Intergroup rep?
- It supports abstinence via the Service Tool.
- It sustains your recovery as part of the 12th Step (“…we tried to carry this message to compulsive eaters”)
- It gives back to the program that’s saved our lives.
- It helps others like us who are still suffering.
And what’s the Intergroup do? In a nutshell it coordinates with area meetings to support them and carry the message of recovery to those who still suffer. That includes these actions:
- providing basic services such as meeting lists, telephone hotline (603.418.4398), and this website
- giving financial assistance to new meetings and helping struggling meetings with group inventories when asked
- ensuring 7th Tradition money flows to Region and World Service
- organizing special services such as recovery workshops and events, initiatives such as 12th Step Within drives, and public information beyond the group level.
Our current Year of Abstinence initiative is a blending of these services.
So, finally, what do you do as an Intergroup Rep do to support these valuable actions?
- Attend your home meeting regularly, note what’s going on there, and alert members to upcoming Intergroup meetings
- Attend the monthly Intergroup meeting, bring any issues or agenda items, make notes to share, vote on behalf of your home meeting, and participate in discussion.
- Return to your home meeting and inform members of the important news that comes out of it so that they can get the benefits of what the area meetings are doing together.
Simple! And incredibly valuable to our recovery and those of others around us.
Every meeting in Seacoast Intergroup is entitled to a rep and an alternate. Please volunteer at your home group’s next business meeting. If you have any questions, drop an email to SeacoastOA@gmail.com.